Sunday, September 28, 2008

Letter Writing Lesson Video

http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=489b0da0c67a0713f80b
This video shows an attempt at identifying the letter "f" in an abstract way. The success of the lesson depends not only on the accuracy of each student involved, but their ability to visualize what is being written through the sense of touch from behind them. It uses teamwork and prior knowledge. The letter "f" can be easily construed as a "t" if not carefully executed. As a result, the student's "felt" the letter incorrectly by the time the last person went. It's like playing telephone. The end result was unsuccessful. I would think that you could accomplish the same type of activity with better success if you had each child blindfolded and feeling the letter outlined with yarn on a piece of cardboard. This would give consistency to the shape of the letter for better recognition and would allow the child to identify it in a frontal position as they would do when reading or writing. As each child felt the letter I would have them write it on a personal slate board/white board for assessment purposes. I think the concept was a good one but the task involved too many factors leaning toward an unsuccessful result in the activity demonstrated. I do, however, feel that you should challenge your students, but never set them up for failure, especially at a young age. Encourage them, keep them interested with games such as this one, be creative, promote literacy, and at the same time, boost their self esteem.

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Marianne,

Thank you so mcuh for sharing these videos with everyone!

You explained, " I do, however, feel that you should challenge your students, but never set them up for failure, especially at a young age." How true!

I plan on showing this video in my undergraduate class where we are studying Language Arts. I want to see if they have the same insights you shared.

Thanks!

Mr. Healy said...

Marrianne,

I had a similar thought while watching the video: a better kinistetic approach may be presenting them with large, 3-D models of letters, but I didn't think it through far enough to think of blindfolds. Great idea!

On a side note, I was again reassured why I would not be cut out to teach preschoolers. Doing that activity with three students would have sent me into a tailspin, let alone an entire class.