Saturday, October 4, 2008

About Starfall.com

I love this program. It's interactive and motivating. It covers a variety of skills for the young student as well as a variety of subjects. As a music teacher, I like the music section and use it with my students. It reinforces topics I teach, reviews it and uses recall as an assessment. Starfall exercises multi intelligences and serves as a good supplemental resource for all students. The emergent reader benefits, as well as a more accomplished reader. I enjoyed the multicultural stories myself. In my observation, this program covers alphabetic knowledge, phonological awareness, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and assessment. You can use starfall to scaffold instruction and have a high frequency word list to follow up as a writing activity too. I enjoyed learning about the different aspects of this program and plan to incorporate it into my lessons in other ways, besides just the music element. It can be used as differentiated instruction for the young reader and individualizes learning, using technology. I highly recommend this program. I think it has many assets that will benefit students at different levels.

No comments: